Saturday, May 9, 2020

Able and Willing



Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. 
(Jude vv. 24-25, ESV)


I heard this verse a week ago as the focal text of the weekly message. As I read along, a couple of thoughts came to me and I wanted to capture them as part of a blog post.

First, the text says "able" and that's all well and good. But there is an underlying and implied "willing" that is also essential. That's why I threw together the graphic I used to introduce this post. You see, if God is only "able" but isn't "willing", that puts him in the category of a tyrant or despot ... or perhaps a puppet master. Frankly, that runs contrary to everything we've read and learned about him.

Similarly, being "willing" but not "able" puts us in the hands of a merely wishful God who really wants to do something for and with us, but he's just not up to the task. He'd do it if he could, but he's not able to.

So that wonderful, somewhat mystical combination of "able and willing" really strikes at the heart of the matter. That's the type of God I want to choose to put my trust and hope in. And make no mistake, it is still a choice.

The other word that caught my attention is "blameless". That's a very powerful word. In choosing to accept and embrace what God is able and willing to do, I am now presented, as the NLT renders it, "without a single fault". The connotation here is the same as a completely flawless diamond - no blemish intern or external, perfect in color, cut, and quality. That's the promise - the very essence - of Jesus' finished work in the New Covenant.

The Crooked Path is filled with twists and turns, trials and tribulations. But when I focus on what God is able and willing to do for me, I know the temporary challenges can be endured because there is something far better in store for me. That's the kind of hope and assurance I need during these current difficult times and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment